I eat these post workout for source of protein and also a nice treat. I didn’t like the taste of the first batch so I tweaked this to make it my own special recipe for the second batch.
It’s not super sweet or as moist as I’d like it. But as with all things I make, they are generally not really sweet in tasting as anything sweet uses more xylitol than I’d like to put in. So keep that in mind. But when you go low carb, it doesn’t really matter since you just want anything to have a treat!
- 4 scoops chocolate whey protein, which is about 1 cup
- 1/2 cup xylitol
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 4 squares of the 100% dark chocolate (I use Bakers)
- 3 egg whites
- 4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins with paper.
- Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl (whey, xylitol, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt)
- In a separate bowl, melt dark chocolate with almond milk on a minute in microwave. Keep putting it back in microwave to melt for 15 seconds at a time if not melted right away. Stir.
- Add egg whites and vanilla extract to the almond milk. Stir.
- Combine wet with dry ingredients and stir.
- Special addition: I took strawberries, some whey protein and blended it with almond milk. Added 1/3 cup of this strawberry liquid blend to the already wet and dry mixed ingredients.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
132 g of carbs
108 g of protein
I made 12 muffins
89 calories per muffin
22 g of total carbs (but this includes mostly the xylitol carbs, which if you subtract it, it’s actually only 3 g of net carbs).
9 g of protein
This is actually without the 1/3 cup of strawberry blend, but it’s such little amount I am not going to be too picky about the calories from it.